When the Southcote estate at Woburn Park was sold, their chapel, where the few Catholics in the area had been welcome to attend mass, was destroyed. James Taylor built a chapel next to his estate at Weybridge Park. It was on November 4th, 1835, the feast day of St Charles Borromeo, that the Chapel, was dedicated to him.
In 1881, the chapel became the baptistery and sacristy of an enlarged church of the same name. In the middle of the 20th century, the number of Catholics living in the area rose until it was decided that another church would be needed.. The Odeon Cinema on the Queens Road was for sale so it was converted into the Church dedicated to St Martin de Porres, but locals always called it St Odeon’s! These two churches remained open until 1988, when it was decided that a new Parish Centre should be built. St Charles (see photo on the left) was sold to the Korean Presbyterian Church Community who subsequently received lottery money to renovate it, and St Martin’s was sold for redevelopment and is now an office block called St Martins.
The first mass in the new church of Christ the Prince of Peace was celebrated in Advent 1989. On the same site is our Catholic Primary School, called St Charles Borromeo and a Repository, called St Martin de Porres. Other links with the past are the statues of each of the Saints and the crucifix over the altar which came from St Charles and the benches which came from St Martin’s.
Parish Welcome Days
To welcome new parishioners we have welcome days where anyone who is new to the parish is warmly invited to get to know Fr Con and the team.
For more information please contact the parish office.